Monday, August 9, 2021

Well, today, I had a follow-up with my oncologist for test results. Unfortunately, the genetic mutation of my cancer is best treated by a round of chemotherapy.  So here is my plan at this time.

Option Course of Treatment
Test results indicate no Chemo.
  • Heal from surgery for a couple of weeks
  • Do radiation which will be 5-8 weeks
  • Additional surgeries as needed
Test results indicate Chemo 
  • Heal from my surgery on 7/8/21 for 6-8 weeks
  • See Dr. McCray again to have a port put in my chest.  Likely this will be done in a surgical suite under twilight sedation.
  • If the port is done on time, the first chemo treatment will be on August 30th via the port. After that, I will receive chemo every 3 weeks for 4 treatments.
  • The last Chemo treatment would be on November 1st
  • THen radiation will be 5-8 weeks - First radiation treatment can start as soon as 3 weeks after the last chemo treatment.
  • Hormonal therapy - I'm not sure where this starts, but it'll be 5-10 years
  • Have breast reconstruction surgery
  • Additional surgeries if needed
  • Routine screenings for cancer 

I'm a bit overwhelmed today.  I have a lot of research to do with all the new information I've received today, a lot of questions to answer.  It's a busy time of year with school starting for the girls, the start of term at UCF, and Shawn has an extra load at work now.  We're working together to try to identify our needs.  I'll be reaching out to my amazing support network as soon as I find my feet again.  In the meantime, I continue to be grateful to those keeping me in their thoughts and supporting me, Shawn, and the girls.  Thank you


I thought I should post a picture, so here is Shawn and I drowning our sorrows on a different day.


No comments:

Post a Comment